direction

I'm waiting for the clock to tick so that I can leave for Spiritual Direction. I'm meeting with a new person today, recommended by a dear friend who has the same sort of spiritual troubledness as I, a similar functional/dysfunctional relationship with this Church who holds both our vocations. I asked him, "can she handle my angst?" and he said "she can." So here I go.
I met with another SD who came at his recommendation, for many years- really, on and off, for over ten years. At some points, we met twice a month, sometimes every six weeks, sometimes not for months or a year at a time, because it is my way that I don't go when things are good, or, in the case of my Dark Year, very bad.
Mary blew my mind in our first visit, when I told her how ambivalent I was about even being there- I had this decision to make (I guess you could say I still have this decision to make...) of whether or not to stay in this Church... and I thought, if she's Catholic, she'll encourage me to stay, and if not, she won't. But she said..... sit down, ready? She said....
"Your decisions are between you and God."
Well.
She left me with a scripture passage to work with, that of Jacob wrestling with an angel. It fit. After that visit I looked it up, did a little research as I am wont to do, and found an article that mentioned that Jacob wrestled with God, and... lost. It was my story, too.
Over the years she pulled me back from the ledge of faith many times, helping me cry, showing me to the bathroom when I had to throw up (pregnancy), and loving me. On a silent retreat that did change the trajectory of my faith life, she was my director. At the end of one of our sessions that weekend, she said "I love you." and my heart grew three sizes.
She's left the Church now, I think... and has, I guess, left me too. I don't know why, and (obviously) I'm grieving, but I think it's probably time to start with someone new, see what's out there for me in a different heart, and, since I think God is calling (shoving) me toward becoming a SD myself, it'll be good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Desk Confession

Google Catholicism

Process